In recent weeks, there has been a lot of attention paid to gainful Employment by the Administration and Congress. However, the Department of Education recently released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on June 16 – with gainful employment noticeably missing.
Last week, Congress took action to explore issues in higher education through a series of hearings. The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Chaired by Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), held a hearing to investigate federal investment in for-profit institutions last Thursday. During the hearing, the Committee heard testimony from a variety of sources, including:
- Kathleen Tighe, Inspector General, Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Education
- Yasmine Issa, former Sanford Brown Institute student
- Margaret Reiter, former Supervising Deputy Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General, California Department of Justice
- Sharon Thomas Parrott, Senior Vice President, Government and Regulatory Affairs and Chief Compliance Officer, DeVry, Inc.
- Steven Eisman, Portfolio Manager, FrontPoint Financial Services Fund, LP
See Senator Harkin’s statement on the hearing here.